Monday, April 25, 2011

hives from fire????

I always wondered why my feet and sometimes legs got itchy next to a fire-  I never really say much as it is not too bad  and felt a little weird given it was at night and no artificial lights around either.-

I wondered if a campfire let off UV-  it may or may not but the visable radiation would be enough for me.

I got this info off  the following website   www.campsundown.com  ( please go support them if you can- they provide camp for kids who have XP  and I believe other sun allergies)


Dr. Kraemer -
Statement re: UV from fireplaces - R. H. James
(NOT official FDA position)
A fireplace produces an optical radiation output similar to a low temperature `black body', which has a smooth spectral curve with little or no ultraviolet being present, significant infrared presence, and some visible radiation. For a fire, there will be imposed upon this `normal' `black body' type of radiation output some transient effects (hot spots and `flares') based on variations in the fuel source - some having a narrower spectral band output. The type of fire (and physical size of the fire) can have a dramatic effect on the optical output - different types of wood burn with different intensity - gas fireplaces will produce different spectral outputs than wood. At the beginning of the fire's life, the radiation output will be low - it increases as the fire gets hotter, and coals develop - it decreases once again as the fire dies out. An individual can decrease his exposure by simply moving to a greater distance from the fire. All of these parameters make a description of the optical radiation output from a fire very difficult indeed.
I believe that little or no ultraviolet radiation can be expected from wood fires. The most significant output from wood fires is in the infrared, with some visible radiation also present. I do not know of any measurements of wood fires which have detected any ultraviolet radiation output at reasonable viewing distances from the fire.

I know this is not very detailed, but if you wish to discuss this further, please let me know.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment